447 Hackney Road
The current home of London Hackspace, leased from Friday 15th March 2013, which we moved into on April 13th. At more than 6500 sq ft (600 m2) over two floors, it's nearly triple the size of our old space, and also includes a large dedicated yard with loading bay.
Even though we've now moved there's still lots to do to make our space more awesome.
447 Hackney Road
Lat: 51.532141 Long: -0.060806
If no public events are running, the shutter on Hackney Road may be closed. In this case, access is through our rear gate on Emma Street. For more information on getting to the space, see Getting There
When to Visit
If you haven't visited London Hackspace before, you should drop by on one of our Tuesday open evenings to get a tour around the space. The front door will be open then, and we'll give you a tour and let you know how to join as a member.
If you can't make Tuesday
There are usually people in the space during the daytime (afternoon/evening is better). You are quite likely to get in, but you can't rely on it. If the shutter is down at the front, try the back gate. If you didn't manage to get a tour, pop onto the List to arrange a day when you can be shown the ropes. Drop-in access outside of the regular Tuesday visitor time is not guaranteed.
The London Hackspace is located on Hackney Road which is known to have a very high bike theft rate. If you are planning to bring a bike it is recommended you chain it in the yard, for which we can provide access. We have a dedicated bike parking area with metal hoops, so you'll probably find it easier to leave it there too. By the way cable locks even thick ones are an invitation to bike thieves. It's safer to use a D lock or lock and chain.
Please remember that the London Hackspace is a public environment, especially on Open Evenings, and you should exercise common sense in looking after and securing your valuables.
The rear door (and the inner front door, when it's open) are locked using Doorbot. Members can open the door using a registered Oyster or other RFID card.
- There is a cash machine directly across the road by the Tesco.
- Broadway Market and London Fields (for good food) are a 5-minute walk away
- There is a cash and carry around the corner on Cambridge Heath Road
- There are many nice Pubs close by:
- Venetian Restaurant/Bar Ombra
- Brazilian Restaurant/Takeway 'Raizes' (on just-eat) Map
- The Canteen Cafe, can deliver to the space. We have a menu. Tgreer approves of the breakfasts.
- Kebab Time on Mare Street (fairly decent cheap chips)
- Broadway Fish Bar, nearest end of Broadway Market. Expensive, but decent (and has curry sauce!)
- Cafe Tres on Cambridge Heath Road (turning left at the end of Hackney Road) does good breakfasts.
- Italian Cafe E.Pellicci 332 Bethnal Green Road (nr. corner of Pollard Row) Great pasta, fantastic atmosphere and amazing early 20C marquetry for all you timber-ticklers!
- Vyner Street First Thursday Open studios every month in Vyner St for an arty farty party
- Apiary Studios Sound Studio and Event Venue
- Last Tuesday Society Lots of two headed dead things in glass boxes
- Pics from Russ/Jonty's first visit
- second visit
- Second visit - Sully's pictures (Mostly infrastructure related)
- Video - 16/01/2013
- 360° panoramas: