Archive:New Space Search 2012
We're looking for a new space to move in once we've made the switch to a charity and got some savings in the bank. We won't be in such a rush to move as last time.
The right space could allow us to run things such as a permanent licensed bar, which could be a boon to the community and also increase our revenue.
As a charity we will become eligible for both an 80% mandatory rates discount from the council, and Gift Aid. Combined with a continued rate of growth we will hopefully see an increase in recurring revenue from the current level of £4,800/month to around £6,000/month.
High level requirements
- At least 3000 sq ft (280 sq m)
- In Zone 1 or 2
- B1 or B2 use class
- Price less than £70,000/year (inc. service charge & VAT)
- No more than 0.5 miles to a tube station
Possible requirements (wishlist)
We won't be able to satisfy all of these, but the more the better.
- Enough floor space for separate storage (at least 50% larger than current member storage area)
- Possibility of creating separate metal work & wood workshops with attached materials room (whether shared or individual)
- Kitchen space
- At least as much floor space if not more to be used for quiet room & desk space
- toilets (inc disabled access)
- ideally some sort of shower room (or room that can be made thus)
- several smaller rooms that can be made custom use eg fab room for 3D printers & laser cutter, bio hacking room, soldering room. All though these could be cubicles/ partitions to a larger space.
- somewhere secure for bikes
- usable outside area; ideally large enough for firing trebuchet/rockets/pigs.
- convenient parking for motorbikes, cars, etc
- Some kind of separate dedicated area for lectures, presentations and non-engineering workshops.
- Friendly landlord
- Easy access, preferably ground floor
- Fantastic views
- Stirling Ackryod
- I visited them yesterday and obtained a few properties, they don't seem to have anything better on their website. Robert 11:50, 13 July 2011 (UTC)
341-345 Old Street, EC1V 9LL  (1,945 - 5,871 sqft., £20/sqft., £78,520 pa.)
These appear to be three completely bare units on Old Street of approximately 1,950 sqft. each.
The suitability of this in terms of noise is unclear, and the letting document indicates a reception so access requirements would need to be confirmed.
- Old Street (0.3 miles)
- Shoreditch High Street (0.3 miles)
- Hoxton (0.4 miles)
181 Cannon Street Road, E1 2LX  (3,167 sqft., £16/sqft., £50,672 pa.)
Although they are marketed as "media styled office space" they appear to be two mostly empty floors, situated above a shop but with separate access.
Price does not include service charge.
- Shadwell (0.3 miles)
- Whitechapel (0.5 miles)
- Aldgate East (0.5 miles)
101 Commercial Road, E1 1RD  (3,500 sqft., £15.20/sqft., £53,200 pa.)
Looks to be kitted out as an office, but the description indicates e.g. partitions could be removed. Access arrangements are not obvious.
Noise could be an issue.
- Aldgate East (0.4 miles)
- Shadwell (0.5 miles)
- Whitechapel (0.5 miles)
- Aldgate (0.5 miles)
Cheshire Street, E2 (6,865 sqft., £52,000 pa.)
Massive warehouse, fridge, and office space. Warehouse space could be partitioned to improve heating.
- Shorditch (0.2 miles)
- Bethnal Green (0.3 miles)
- Whitechapel (0.4 miles)
Moving will be an enormous task, and will take at least an entire weekend (and probably a week's worth of time in preparation).
Build-out of new space
There's no guarantee that any location we find will have all the amenities we need, so it's likely we'll have to budget for things such as fitting the kitchen, installing partitions, installing new flooring. Fortunately we should have a decent level of cash on hand.
Leaving Cremer Street
We need to return the two units to how they were when we arrived, which will require quite a bit of work.
- Kitchen conversion can probably stay as long as it's completed
- Wall needs replacement breeze blocks (£???) + a day's building + painting
- Wet room needs reinstating as toilet. No costs afaik