Boxford CNC Induction
This page is used to track Induction sessions for the Equipment/CNC_Mill.
This Induction is available to London Hackspace members only. You can pre-book your place below.
Space is limited and you must reserve a place on this wiki page when a session is available - watch the Mailing List for announcements. Reserving a place is on a first-come-first-served basis, so you'll need to be quick.
If you can't attend your Induction session please remove your name from the roster.
Preparing for the session
Using a CNC requires a bit more background knowledge or learning than a laser cutter or 3d printer. You should come to the session having some knowledge of CAD and CAM concepts and have used a CAD/CAM package such as Autodesk Fusion (free, works on Windows or OSX) or other package capable of generating g-code for CNC machining. We will be happy to help with explaining concepts but depending on your previous experience there is quite a lot to learn so you will get the most out of the session and the machine if you do some independent reading / practice.
In particular before coming you should learn a bit about;
- The difference between CAD geometry files (i.e. DXF, IGES and STEP), and tool path files (i.e. G-Code)
- Cutting materials - cutter speeds and feed rates - dependent on what you want to cut. Some things (i.e. wax, modeling board) are very forgiving, while others (particularly metals) need to be just right for good results.
- Any CAM package, Fusion 360 is a good one if you are not sure. You should try generating a tool path with a particular cutter, checking the toolpath visually and by simulation if your CAM software allows it, and finally posting the G-Code to the a g-code file (i.e. .gcode extension).
- XYZ coordinate systems (on the Boxford CNC, x is left to right (+x is travelling right), y is towards / away from you (+y is travelling away from you), and z is down / up (+z is travelling up)
- Concept of finding datum of the workpiece, for instance touching off the tool in x, y and z (z is very important)
- Checking a CAM toolpath by simulating the cut, and also checking the extents of the tool path to make sure it is not going to run into any fixtures or the bed of the machine.
- Familiarise your self with Equipment/CNC_Mill#Using_the_CNC and possibily have a look at Gantry_CNC
- You will need a LDAP account to login to the machine - further information on creating an account at LDAP#What_can_I_use_my_LDAP_account_for.3F and LDAP_for_CNC
There maybe machinable wax available so you can experiment a bit after the training (highly recommended!), while there are people around to help you.
The aim of this session is to get you up and running using this particular machine so you can experiment further - depending on your previous experience with metalworking and CNC, it may take a bit of practice to do a particular job. Spare material, watching youtube tutorials, and practice sessions are highly recommended.
Please use the exact name you used to join LHS.
Access to the machine is via your LDAP login - if you don't have one you can create one in the members area of the LHS web site, (https://london.hackspace.org.uk/members/ldap.php) or https://wiki.london.hackspace.org.uk/view/LDAP_for_CNC so we can add you as a user of the CNC after the session.
Training is £5 and is payable at the start of the session. (this goes towards upkeep of the machine)
26/10/16 @ 18:30 - x places available (space constraints);
1: Neil Munro
26/10/16 @ 18:30 - 2 places available (space constraints);
1. Nicolas Gluondufou 2. Andy Tidman
15/05/16 @ 18:30 - 4 places available (space constraints);
1. John Tipper 2. Sara Ensor 3. Russ Garrett 4. Michael Chislett
01/05/16 @ 18:30 - 4 places available (space constraints);
1. Trevor Daniel 2. Zerahiah A 3. Antonio Fontaina 4. Patrick Dent
24/04/16 @ 18:30 - 4 places available (space constraints);
1. Domas Lasauskas 2. Paddy Duncan 3. Tomasz Mloduchowski 4. Filip Schlosser
28/02/16 @ 18:30 - 4 places available (space constraints);
1. Jonathan Perkins 2. Keith Levett 3. Jan Szumiec 4. Maheemal Kapugama Bathgamage