We will soon move to a new space in 447 Hackney Road. This will be happening during March and April 2013.
There's lots do do. Moving will be an enormous task, and will take at least an entire weekend (and probably several weeks worth of time in preparation). Here are some resources that help us coordinate this.
See 447 Hackney Road.
How to Help
At the moment we are mostly interested in skilled workers (carpentry, electrics, plumbing; but also drivers with vehicles), don't need many unskilled volunteers.
This will change as we approach the weekend of 13/14 April, which is a likely date for the actual move.
See the TODO list.
If you're a member: check the Things to be aware of section below.
If you've not kept up to date with our daily progress: have a look at the Planning updates section below.
If you have useful skills and want to help out with the move:
- join the Infrastructure mailing list: http://groups.google.com/group/london-hack-space-infrastructure
- join the infrastructure IRC channel on freenode.net, #london-hack-space-infrastructure
- Register to help here so we can plan well
If you have a bit of time and want to help out with the move: here's a list of random things where we need someone to take over.
- We need someone to monitor Freecycle (speak to Jasper for details); there's a /FreecycleList with requests
- We need an ashtray for the yard
- Big TODO List /TODO
Making Important Decisions
Make sure to keep in touch with others, things move quickly, and many people are thinking about overlapping problems. When you're coordinating an activity make sure to involve other people in larger decisions.
Specifically this could mean:
- Start discussing the task at hand with others, do research, find the right specialists.
- Write down a proposal.
- Show it to others, amend it. (Any Etherpad/PiratePad service is good for this.)
- For decisions that affect other teams, or the larger community: propose it on the infrastructure mailing list, or the main list (as appropriate)
As a result it stops being your idea, and will be shaped by others. But it will often be much better.
We need to be out of Cremer St before 30th April. To leave time for restorations and cleanup the actual move will happen on the weekend of 13/14 April.
(Not all of these pages are maintained. Should sort these and merge as appropriate.) (We should merge these pages.)
- Key projects
- Logistics - actually moving objects & infrastructure from A to B
- The new space layout (under discussion)
- Sizes and shapes of some existing equipment
- Restoration requirements for our current space
- List of stuff to try to find as cheap as possible
Frequently Asked Questions
See also New Space Search 2012#Frequently_Asked_Questions for a discussion of why a move is possible (and necessary) in 2013.
When will the new space be open to members?
Doorbot is already set up, but restricted to a few key people who help out with the move. General member access will be set up around the time of the actual move, sometime in mid/late April.
See also: #Expected Schedule.
What modifications does our lease allow?
"Structural changes" need to be signed off by the landlord. This includes the erection of new walls, drilling large holes in existing walls (e.g. for ventilation), etc.
Non-structural changes are fine; this includes painting walls, markings, mounting of equipment and other small changes.