IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is the free-flow live conversation relating to London Hackspace. Many members are constantly connected and chatting there, and we have bots which automatically keep the channel informed of comings and goings in the space. If you have a quick question, or you need to get in touch with someone quickly, IRC is the way to do it.
Please familiarise yourself with our Code of Conduct before joining in the conversation.
We have several IRC channels on the the Freenode network including but not limited to the following:
- #london-hack-space - Our main channel with many participants, often unfiltered chatter.
- #london-hack-space-infrastructure - Discussion of infrastructure related things (maintenance, repairs, and enhancements on the physical space)
- #lhs-radio - LHS Amateur Radio Enthusiasts
- #london-hack-space-robotics - LHS Robotics
- #london-biohackers - London Biohackspace
- #london-aerospace - London Aerospace
- #london-frag-space - LHS Gaming Events Community
- ##lhs-beekeepers - LHS Beekeepers
- ##lhs-threadspace - LHS Threadspace (textiles)
First time users: How to connect to IRC
If you're new to IRC, a good start would be clicking here: Freenode's IRC web chat gateway.
Choose a unique nickname (preferably one that we can associate with you if we've met you in the space before), satisfy the captcha, and connect. Please be patient when you ask your first set of questions - people on the other side are not always staring at the chat waiting for someone new to ask something.
When you're more comfortable with IRC and want to use it more frequently, you should explore other IRC client software such as IRCCloud, weechat, ircii, irssi, BitchX, Adium, Pidgin and more. Feel free to ask for IRC client software recommendations in the chat channel - everyone has their own preferences and perspective.
- The Code of Conduct applies and will be enforced.
- All paying members get ops in the channel at the discretion of the trustees.
- The channel can sometimes be not safe for work.
- Logging is permitted, but please don't publish any logs.
- If you pester/abuse the bots, you will get kicked.
There are a couple of utility bots in the channel.
- Robonaut is an instance of Irccat running on Chomsky. All paying members can add commands to him. Code for these is uploaded to Github.
- IRCensus is a variant of irccat running on Chomsky that keeps track of the number of participants and activity levels in the main chat channel.