London Hackspace's ultimate governance lies with the elected Board of Trustees, who are the directors of London Hackspace Ltd. The trustees exist to ensure the long-term health of the space as an organisation.
Although some trustees are also very active members of the community, it isn't the trustees' duty to handle day-to-day running of the space. This is handled by members themselves.
Trustees are responsible for:
- Making sure that London Hackspace is operating in accordance with its goals.
- Making sure that we stay on the right side of the law.
- Ensuring that the organisation is financially healthy.
- Setting the constitution and rules of the space, in consultation with the members.
- Formally warning and banning members in accordance with the Grievance Procedure.
Getting In Touch
- Trustees lurk on IRC 24/7, see below for a list of nicks.
- At least one trustee will be around on Tuesdays during the social night (schedule permitting), just ask around for a trustee.
- You can email email@example.com
- Note: this email address is not the best way to get in touch with the community. To contact our members please refer to GettingStarted#Communication.
Becoming a Trustee
Elections for trustees are held yearly. A minimum of one third of the board places are up for election by rotation every year. There is no limit on the number of terms a trustee can serve.
Prospective trustees should be:
- A respected member of the community.
- A paid-up member of London Hackspace.
- Able to spend time in the space on at least two days per month.
- Able to spend some considerable time keeping abreast of and dealing with current issues on email and IRC.
- Not disqualified from directorship of a UK company.
Applications from women and minorities are especially encouraged.
Note that the Trustees of late are quite busy, communicate on a daily basis and the expectation is that all should take an active role in proceedings, to be available at short notice to discuss and deal with issues, and to help with the fair distribution of the workload.
|Paddy Duncan||Padski (padski on IRC)||2017-12-15*|
|(John) Michael Cullen||mich181189||2019-11-29*|
|Andy "Bob" Brockhurst||b3cft||2010-07-27||2012-12-21|