Pledge: Cutting Table
The hackspace needs something along these lines: http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/cuttingtable/
This is a DIY version of a professional cutting table, which is used by costumers and tailors to trace patterns, lay out and cut fabric. I don't have enough flat table space with 360 degree access at home, and I'm guessing many others interested in sewing don't either. I could also, with some care, be used to block knitting.
It needs to be slightly modified to suit the hackspace: it must be storable (since taking up an entire table all the time is unfeasible. I propose building a top sheet consisting of a backing layer underlying cork, to be wrapped in kraft paper in- or ex-situ, which can be clamped onto one of the tables when needed. The clamps will be dedicacted to this equipment.
I am not sure what material is best to use as a backing; there doesn't seem to be an equivalent to homosote in the UK. It needs to be available as a single piece the size of a table, be sturdy enough to survive being stored flat in the wood pile, and be light enough to be moved around by one person.
The tables are 75 cm x150 cm x 3.25 cm.
- Cork: http://www.corkstore.co.uk/bb14-cork-roll---60mm-x-122cm-x-24m-276-p.asp 122cm x 250cm x 6mm. (this will yield surplus cork!) £116.80
- Or Cork: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Cork-Gasket-Roll-1-8-1000mm-x-1500mm-/260837750487?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cbb2436d7 £50.90
- Backing material: options: MDF? Fibreboard? Homosote is called Sundeala http://www.sundeala.co.uk/sundeala.htm in the UK. Freeeee
- Adhesive: Wood glue/rubber cement apprx £5
- Clamps: G-clamps, 6, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000OIRVSC/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LFRWBO&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=069R2K0V7C16277PRFAF <£1 each, £6 total
- Wrapping paper: Something like this: http://www.londonofficesupplies.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=137827&Category_Code=&oct=ba1 £40
Total: 168 (102).
Running total: £90
Approximate target: £168