Project:100 Paper Cuts
There are many small and little things that need doing, that we could all do, which would go a long way to help make the space a nicer place. We are going to call these things papercuts. We aim to list these papercuts so users of the space can identify and maybe eradicate them.
What will doing a Papercut achieve
These are the sort of papercuts we're after:
- Improves the general usability of the space
- Asked repeatedly by newcomers
- Makes it a nicer place
What is a Papercut
If you add a papercut it must meet these critera
- Easily identifiable job that takes no more than 5-30 minutes by atleast one person (more the merrier)
- The task should be obvious to achieve, or have clear instructions provided in a separate wiki page.
- Will not negatively affect anything else
Feel free to add suggested solutions, but please add a date to any suggestions so we don't get knee-jerk fixes (putting four tildes, ~~~~, at the end of the point will sign and date it). If suggested solutions are complex, please create a wiki page under your username and link it. If you've already fixed something, put it in <s>
- Recycling: relabel the bins to make it clear that we can't actually do recycling ms7821 21:10, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- Removed existing labels from the recycling bin. Is that enough? Montyphy 04:15, 27 August 2011 (UTC)
- Recycling can be done by members acting alone rather than as the space, a label should be added to the effect Solexious 18:58, 27 August 2011 (UTC)
- Not really. Your agreement with the council is for your own domestic waste, not a party in East London. Ms7821 19:26, 27 August 2011 (UTC)
- Put the bucket bass high horizontally on the wall in the social area using some hooks it can rest on amx109 21:10, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- gets it out of the way but keeps it accessible. should be easy enough to put up, and get down.
- Mount a used laser tube above doorway to the 'main' room. It looks pretty. amx109 21:10, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- Add secondary shelf to the quiet room to provide additional storage space - the wood is already in the room under the desks. Just needs mounting. See Phil/cepmender for info amx109 21:10, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- The desks in the quiet room get moved around, this may not be the most appropriate place for storage. Robert 21:16, 26 August 2011 (UTC)
- Number/encode the members' shelves so one member can easily express the location of their box to someone else without having to resort to "middle row on the right at the far back one up from bottom". Montyphy 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Label space projects (e.g. doorbot, space census, message board, energy usage sign, ragelevel) with url and/or QR code so people can quickly find out more and who to contact about it. Montyphy 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Sign in the library explaining how it works, especially what to do if someone wants to take a book home. Montyphy 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Central notice board area. Currently there's a corkboard, chalkboard, and monitor scattered around the social area. Seems it would be better to bunch them together where the coat hooks use to be and where the monitor currently is. Montyphy 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Move the cupboard that has the sign "Mystically magnificent munchies and decadently delicious drinks" on it into the proposed kitchen area to provide more counter space in the current kitchen. The cupboard seems to be used to store a few drinking glasses, which there is no shortage of in the other cupboard, and is mainly inaccessible due to the tea/coffee stuff. Montyphy 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Delete the units from the old kitchen, the new kitchen is usable aside from water (and it's not too much for people to walk to the sink to get water). Robert 09:41, 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Suggestions/Feedback box - A box with basic questionnaire and pens so we can get feedback from visitors. Montyphy 10:22, 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Visitors booklet - Collect together some of the obvious points from the wiki and what gets said on tours (e.g. what is a hackspace, how the London Hackspace started, how to become a member, outline the more interesting tools, where to find/contact us, etc) so visitors have something to take away with them as a reminder. Montyphy 10:22, 28 August 2011 (UTC)
- Add instructions to the fridge door. Any food put inside to be marked with a name and a insert-date. Any food found to be past use by, or not labeled gets binned --Amx109 22:25, 28 August 2011 (UTC)
Make the wiring to the board more robust, perhaps mount electronics on a nice lasercut plaque similar to the power use display.Every time the wiring gets knocked the board throws a hissy fit and has to be reset.- This is a personal project, contact the member through the details on the wiki project page before modifying.
Move coat hooks from main social area into the far rear+left toilet
- Simply clean your desk after you've used it. Wipe up any coffee stains, etc.
Remove erroneous apostrophes from the papercuts wiki page.Liedra