Difference between revisions of "Project:UK Hack Camp"
|Line 34:||Line 34:|
* [[User:earthshine|Mike ]]
Revision as of 08:01, 17 August 2011
There's been talk for far too long about a hacker camp in the UK; let's make it happen. Europe has a great history of camps: Hacking At Random 2009. Chaos Communication Camp 2011.
Let's have one in the UK. Sod the Olympics, let's make this the event of 2012.
*Very* Provisional Plans
- Date: Saturday 25th - Monday 27th August 2012 (Bank Holiday Weekend)
- Capacity: 500 people
What we Need
The biggest challenge is to find a decent site with the ability to get hold of a good (at least 100meg) internet connection.
- it's possible to rent a connection via satellite for a reasonable price. An event I recently attended had a commercial video photographer using one, and it wasn't a big-bucks setup by any means. Afaicr he had at least 10meg but more may be possible - he considered it feasible for connecting communities, not just for single temporary use. Site equipment included a smallish dish on a trailer. Artag.
- Satellite Internet has high latency, 10-20x that of a normal connection. Robert 07:22, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- I thought that was the case, but the connection was made available for use and I didn't find it a problem. Perhaps I wasn't very demanding and put any delays down to the shared use, but it was by no means as bad as I expected.
- The Multiplay events manage it (though they're held at a racecourse, but they have camping.). tomwardill.
Join the UK hack camp mailing list here