Project:UK Hack Camp/Candidate sites
The biggest challenge is to find a decent site with the ability to get hold of a good (at least 100meg) internet connection.
- it's possible to rent a connection via satellite for a reasonable price. An event I recently attended had a commercial video photographer using one, and it wasn't a big-bucks setup by any means. Afaicr he had at least 10meg but more may be possible - he considered it feasible for connecting communities, not just for single temporary use. Site equipment included a smallish dish on a trailer. Artag.
- Satellite Internet has high latency, 10-20x that of a normal connection. Robert 07:22, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- I thought that was the case, but the connection was made available for use and I didn't find it a problem. Perhaps I wasn't very demanding and put any delays down to the shared use, but it was by no means as bad as I expected.
- It definitely does - the laws of physics demand it! Also satellite tops out at about 10 meg best-case. Russ 08:30, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
- The Multiplay events manage it (though they're held at a racecourse, but they have camping.). tomwardill.
- Something like a racecouse/track or airbase that's geared up for events already would be a good place to start looking Ms7821 08:02, 17 August 2011 (UTC)
Have a chat with the organisers for their experiences
- Dork camp
- Maker Faire (including Brighton on 3rd September)?
- HAR 2009
- CCC Camp 2011
- Fast net connection
- Large ammounts of mains power
- Disagree that this is a site requirement, we can bring in generators if needed. Robert 14:57, 18 August 2011 (UTC)
- Camping space for about 500 people
Would be nice
- Indoor space for lectures / NOC
- Easy access for building the site
- Nearby train stations/public transport routes
- Shops and other facilities nearby
- Near to London (nicer weather in the south)
Priority is to be near/connected to a good Internet pipe.
- Somewhere near The Bunker?
- i'd say The Bunker site itself, there's plenty of green space. Newbury/Greenham Common site may be more central not sure of their acreage there tho. -- mikepea
- There is a data centre map
- Multiplay have used Newbury racecourse in the past, had camping and fast internets.
- The Observatory Science Centre
- The closest exchange is 1 mile away and is not unbundled.
- Jodrell Bank
- Charvil - FTTC in surrounding area
- Newbury West - FTTC in surrounding area
- Whitcurch - FTTC in surrounding area
- Bovingdon Airfield - Cable in surrounding area
- Essex University - They regularly hire out large areas for events and have an insanely huge net pipe which we should be able to hook into (HAL done similar in 2001) - also possibly any other university campuses we might be able to use
- Bletchley Park DorkCamp 2011 was nearly here, but turned out to be too small (http://groups.google.com/group/uk-hackspaces/msg/272051109e85268d)
- Poole & Dorset Adventure Centre another Dork venue, "limited to about 20 people indoors and 30 in tents"