Difference between revisions of "System naming"
(Add Grace Hopper as potential name)
|Line 40:||Line 40:|
== Old names ==
== Old names ==
Revision as of 03:25, 20 November 2018
The naming scheme of physical systems in the hackspace (hostname) is "people involved in computing"  . This includes pioneers in similar relevant fields. Please note that pronunciation and spelling difficulties may rule out names like Dijkstra, Kay and Hoare.
The naming scheme of virtual machines or containerised systems is to be close to its purpose. An example of a VM passing messages via MQTT might be "mqtt-gateway" or "message-hub" instead of "vanrossum"
machines should be available as hostname.lan.hackspace.org.uk from inside the space (just hostname should work). some machines are available from the outside as hostname.hack.rs or hostname.london.hackspace.org.uk
- Turing Bitfolk VM - sensitive public services (membership DB, website, LDAP), UK Hackspace Foundation web site
- Church DigitalOcean droplet - new machine for sensitive public services
- Knuth DigitalOcean droplet - less-sensitive public services (wiki)
- Blanton Network CCTV Server
- Boole main router, dhcp, dns, ntp, syslog etc. 
- Hamming runs the board above the frontdoor and ?sixteen and the big clock. 
- Landin hypervisor for VMs
- Torvalds new 3D Printing Machine
- Joy Laser Cutter workstation running Windows
- Tesla public shared Linux workstation on the 1st floor.
- Cray Dell Studio 1559 laptop, Robotics Group, running Windows 7 or Ubuntu 14.04 dual boot
Please be cautious when adding to this list. Pronunciation and spelling difficulties may rule out names like Dijkstra, Kay and Hoare. Make sure that the name can be pronounced, written unambiguously from hearing it, and does not sound like another word. This probably means puns are unsuitable.
Names used on systems no longer in use. These can be recycled with care after a sensible period of time.
- Bell OLD SPACE - Asterisk IP Telephony Server
- Booch OLD SPACE emoncms power monitoring raspberry pi thing 
- Capek Lobby display
- Difference - Public Terminal
- Lattner OLD SPACE - ZFS-based File server.
- Lovelace (Workstation for Makerbot)
- Shannon (IRC Terminal)
Potential names on the edge of the scheme
Don't be afraid to use these, especially if they're meaningful to you, but please try to include a short justification for why the Hackspace should care about them.
- Adams - UUNET
- Armstrong - FM
- Backus - Naur Form
- Beer - Regulatory systems
- Black - Feedback amp
- Brown - Servomechanics
- Dirac - Quantum mechanics
- Holonyak - LED display sign
- Erwin - Userfriendly character
- Flood - Prisoner's dilemma, travelling salesman problem
- Gray - Music synth
- Heron - Automata
- Hollerith - Automated punch card systems, his company eventually became IBM
- Korolyov - Rocket science
- Maxwell - Electromagnetic theory
- Norton - Circuit analysis
- Pitts - Neural Networks
- Reeves - PCM
- Simon - AI
- Smith - RF analysis
- Stob - IT satirist
- Watt - Steam Engine Bad-Ass
Potential names not from the scheme
- Bubbles, Buttercup & Blossom
- heck-a-tombical plus minus
- NPR (No Prescription Required)