We will soon move to a potential new space in 447 Hackney Road. This will be happening during March and April 2013.
There's lots do do. Moving will be an enormous task, and will take at least an entire weekend (and probably several weeks worth of time in preparation). Here are some resources that help us coordinate this.
See 447 Hackney Road.
- Logistics - actually moving objects & infrastructure from A to B]
- The new space layout (under discussion)
- Build-out of new space
- Sizes and shapes of some existing equipment
- Restoration requirements for our current space
- List of stuff to try to find as cheap as possible
Things to be aware of
We have about 6 weeks to clear out and restore Cremer St before 30th April.
To ease the transition for everyone we aim to set up doorbot access to the new space asap.
Prepare your member box
If you have a member box:
- Make sure that it can be closed with the lid fitting properly
- Make sure it's clearly labeled with your name and membership reference number. You can find your reference number at london.hackspace.org.uk/members/ after you have logged into the website.
- Remove any loose items from around or under your box - we won't have an easy way of moving them and it's likely that they will get lost or damaged.
- Due to the move we are no longer accepting new boxes in the existing space. If there is a spare space on the member shelves please leave it empty. You'll be able to add new boxes at the new space after the move.
Prepare your loaned equipment
- Make sure it is labelled properly so it doesn't get lost
- If it is delicate or hard to move: prepare it for the move yourself, or even take it home for the duration of the move
Planning your deliveries
Since we will be mostly out of the existing space before 30 April, please take care when ordering items to be delivered to the current space. If there is any chance that they will take more than a few weeks to arrive then don't have them sent to the space! We won't have access to the old building after we fully moved out.
Frequently Asked Questions
See also New Space Search 2012#Frequently_Asked_Questions for a discussion of why a move is possible (and necessary) in 2013.