Gene detection experiment
At a guesstimated total cost of £200.
Together with the equipment that we already have (thermal cycler) and are about to build (electrophoresis tank) this would give us the immediate means to do gene detection (we will design primers to extract particular genes.) E.g.:
- Detection of genetic modifications (identify GM food)
- Detection of species ("lamb curry test": are you getting what you bought?)
- Detection of variants of species (e.g. detect known traits based on published gene sequences)
- We can also send the results to a sequencing lab to get raw data back.
- martind £50
- Andy Cousins (amc) £50
- Gilda £30
- Bugs £50
The money would provide us with enough materials for dozens to hundreds of experiments (depending on the particular item.)
- Primers (£20)
- PCR Reagents (£40)
- Pipette & tips (£30)
- 0.5ml tubes (£10),
What we've bought so far:
- [Agarose 100g] £38
- [Safewhite 1ml] £30 (This is combined loading dye & DNA stain)
- [DNA Ladder] £15
- [TBE Concentrate] £10
- Shipping £10
- VAT £18.60
Total = 121.60
...This is everything necessary for electrophoresis of DNA on an agarose gel, for checking the results of PCR reactions, etc.
PCR machine / Thermal cycler
ALL MONEY RECEIVED - THANKS! PLEASE DIRECT YOUR MONEY TO OTHER ITEMS ON OUR PLEDGE LIST.
We won the PCR machine for £120.
Nigel £30- PAID £15
Gilda £40- PAID £15
Irwin £15- PAID £15
Lauren £15- PAID £15
Martind £100- PAID £15, pls claim the rest from me once more purchases were made
Jonty £15- PAID £15
- Radek £30
Bugs £30- PAID £15
- Keith $100 USD
Total pledged: £275 + $100 from the colonies
Total needed: £120
This one has been bid on and should be OK, currently at £10 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/220725833946
...might need a bit of hacking, but we're good at that