This page is out of date - it refers to our old space which is no longer accessible. We're now located at 447 Hackney Road.
Our old space, leased from July 2010. Expanded to the adjacent unit from January 2011. Left on April 14th, 2013. Combined size: ~2,600 square feet (~240m²).
How to get there
Check out Getting There for info on how to find us.
Paying members have access via an RFID card or tag. If you've just started subscribing, come along when someone else is around and get your card added. Any 13.56MHz (high frequency) card will work, including:
In case of a power cut/emergency, there are nine keys.
There are two stairwells in the building: north and south, both have freight and passenger lifts. You can use either. We're on the second floor. The stairwell furthest from the gates is a little closer to car parking spaces and the hackspace, but access to the stairwell in the loading bay is both under cover and adjacent to a goods lift. The stairwells are locked at night : members have access via a keypad and code but non-members must contact someone in the hackspace.
- Hot and cold water is available in both units.
- Three-phase power is available at the back of the quiet room, both units have three-phase power up to the distribution board.
- There is a letter box.
The space is fully wheelchair accessible.
There's a goods lift next to the loading bay. To operate it, you need to (manually) close the inner and outer doors. If you hear an alarm bell when you press the "lift call" button, it means someone's left the doors open on another floor. Please close both doors after using the lift.
Unit 23 (through the archway) is designated as a dirty shop, for heavy industrial equipment and anything that generates a significant amount of mess. Please ensure any equipment in here that makes any noticeable amount of noise is on rubber feet. The dirty shop is also the main storage area.
The room directly ahead of the main door (formerly the dirty shop) is designated as a quiet room for laptop users etc. It is also used as a lecture room for workhops.
- We have a landline phone near the electricity meters that is on an active line.
- There is a first aid kit above the sink in the dirty workshop, and fire blanket in the old kitchen.
- In the event of a fire, please activate the fire alarm - there is an alert button to the right as you exit through the front door of the space.
- This alarm is not connected to an autodialer, so please also contact the emergency services.
- There are two stairwells available from the front balcony, one in either direction - do not use any of the lifts in an emergency. The rear doors leads on to a balcony with a fire escape at the very end.
Keep on wirintg and chugging away!
- Kinetic - photographic equipment rental. Units 3 & 4
- Femade - Freight. Unit 5
- J D Camtech - photographic equipment repairs & rental. Unit 7
- Alien Graphics - Banners, digital printing etc. Unit 7
- Devote / d.vote - latex fetish clothing. Unit 101,106
- Tribesports - Internet Startup (ruby programmers). Unit 104
- ScanPhoto - 35mm film scanners. Unit 109
Peepshow collective - Animation & art direction
- Torture Garden - Fetish club. Unit 111
- Magnus Long - Furniture Design. Unit 112
- W F Sleath - Stationers (and HP calculators). Unit 115
- Post Room Logistics - Couriers. Unit 20
- Peartree - Camera rental and photography (a lot of pretty stuff). Unit 26, 27, 37 (upstairs). Sylvie popped in and said they have tours occasionally, and they're interested in use of the laser cutter.
- Goldenshot - photo agency. Unit 27
- Divus  - Art magazine publisher. Unit 30
- Rose Digi Graphics - Lithographic plates. Unit 31
- R B J Simpson - Leathergoods manufacturers. Unit 33
- Transformer - T-shirt printers Unit 34
- Happy Finish - Photo retouching, 3D rendering. Unit 36
- Burma @ Access, Hackney Road, past Tesco.
There are four free ATMs nearby:
- To the west, outside the Hackney Community College, opposite the cycle station. Turn left out of the gate, cross Kingsland Road, and continue down Falkirk St about a minute. There are two ATMs here: Barclays and HSBC.
- To the east, the Tesco Express on Hackney Road. Turn right out of the gate, turn right down Hackney Road, and continue for about two minutes.
- To the south, walk down Kingsland road towards the city. There is a Santander ATM outside 'The Grocery' food market, about 30m before the railway bridge. There is another free ATM about 250m further on (past the junction with Old Street) in the minimarket attached to the petrol station.
- C W Tyzack - Hardware Merchants & Ironmongers. 8am-5.30pm Weekdays, 8am-1pm Saturday, closed Sunday.
- Travis Perkins - Builders Merchants.
- Leyland SDM - DIY store, Great Eastern Street.
- Columbia Road Flower Market - quite nice early on a sunday
- Neighbours in Cremer Business Centre
- Paintworks Art shop, directly over Kingsland Road
Also ask ?food on the IRC channel.