Laboratory 24/Getting There
This page is out of date - it refers to our old space which is no longer accessible. We're now located at 447 Hackney Road.
London Hackspace: Laboratory 24
Units 23 & 24
Cremer Business Centre
37 Cremer Street
London E2 8HD
Access is through the main vehicle gates on Cremer Street opposite the Geffrye Museum. Turn right into the loading bay, go through the door on the right and up to the second floor, then follow the signs for unit 24. If
If you're coming from outside London, you may want to check the visiting page for tips.
First Time Visitors - Please tell us!
We get a lot of people visiting the Hackspace - we can't keep track of everyone and if they've been there before or not. If you're new, please let someone know if you need a tour or help with anything.
If the door's shut, ring the bell and someone will let you in. It's best to explain why you're visiting and ask politely for a tour (but bear in mind that people will be busy outside of Tuesday evenings).
You can also try contacting us by Phone: 020 7613 5391.
Out of Hours (7pm - 7am)
The gates are sometimes shut with the chain draped over them, and sometimes completely locked at night. If they're locked or you have any problems, ask the security guard who will be in his office next to the gates.
There is a keypad lock on the stairwells, which restricts access between 7pm and 7am. If you are a member, you can find the code on the members page. If not, contact someone in the Hackspace by IRC or phone to be let in.
- 149, 67, 242, 243, 394 (alight on Kingsland Road [Hoxton Station (HG)/Spitalfields (HF)], 0.1 miles)
- 26, 48, 55, N26, N55 (alight on Hackney Road [Hoxton Station (KN)/Hoxton Station (KA)], 0.1 miles)
- Old Street (Zone 1, 0.7 miles, Northern Line) - use Exit 2
- Liverpool Street (Zone 1; 1.1 miles; Central, Circle, Hammersmith and City, and Metropolitan Lines)
- When exiting the station, follow signs for "Bishopgate (West)" and turn left when exiting the station. Follow the road until you see Cremer Street on your right. The road will change from Bishopgate to Shoredich High Street about halfway through. (But remains the A10.)
- Aldgate East (Zone 1; 1.2 miles; District, and Hammersmith and City Lines)
- Hoxton (Zone 1/2, 0.1 miles, East London Line London Overground) - Live Departure Board
- Old Street (0.7 miles, Northern City Line)
- Cambridge Heath (0.8 miles; Lea Valley, West Anglia Main Lines)
When travelling from London Bridge or Waterloo, take the Jubilee to Canada Water. You'll want to sit near the back of the train.
From King's Cross St. Pancras, take the Victoria line north to Highbury & Islington. Overground trains take about 15 minutes to get to Hoxton, about the same time as walking from Old Street.
By Car & Parking
The space is outside of the congestion charge zone.
We have three spaces for cars (36, 37, and 54). You must park in the correct spaces, and display one of our four permits in your windscreen (copies not acceptable). Parking permits live on the noticeboard next to the front door; if you use a permit, please replace it with a post-it with your name and car registration, and remember to return it when you leave.
(Note that although there's a sign in the car park saying Unit 24, the parking permits themselves are for bays numbered 36, 37, and 54)
There is local on-street parking in the immediate area but a controlled parking zone operates Monday-Friday 7:30-18:30 and Saturday 7:30-13:30. However, it should be possible to use these bays outside of this time. Please check before you park.
There are loading bays near the lifts which can be used for up to 30 minutes.
There are a few places to store bikes:
- Cycle rack in the car park (use a good lock, not recommended at night as we have had thefts)
- DO NOT STORE YOUR BIKE ON THE BALCONY EITHER OUT FRONT OR BACK OF THE HACKSPACE!
Please don't keep your bike in the space (unless you're actively working on it).
There is a Barclays Cycle Hire station in Front of the entrance to Hoxton Station, there are also two other docking stations nearby:
- Opposite Hackney Community College, Falkirk Street.
- Shoreditch High Street, near the church.
Say ?boris on the IRC channel to find out how many bikes/spaces are available.
There is limited parking for motorbikes. Do not park in one of the bays as you risk getting clamped. Park in the space behind the skip in the center of the car park only.
Motorcycles can park for free in Hackney's permit bays.
By Pirate Ship
If your vessel/raft is small enough to navigate the Regents Canal, it's about 0.5miles/10min walk from Kinglands Road Bridge.
Otherwise you are best off leaving your boat on the Thames or in the many docks around Canary Wharf and Limehouse areas. If you need a berth on the Thames, HCM has visitor berths and runs as a charity (nearest tube: Wapping, ELL).
The East End of London does have a reputation so have some shipmates guard it whilst you are away, or get a couple of good locks.