|When||Every other Wednesday, from 19:30|
We are a group of Hackspace members interested in Metal fabrication.
We meet every other Wednesday evening at 7.30pm in the metal workshop. This is an opportunity to meet other people who are interested in metal work and discuss the tools and skills that you need to make your project a success.
Please do not base the planning of any project, especially academic projects for examinations, on the anticipation of getting training or practice time on a equipment on an "as needed" basis. We have had a few individuals turn up with unrealistic expectations of what they might achieve in a limited timeframe recently and wish to avoid disappointment.
It is also worth remembering that certain processes such as welding, lathe and milling may require significant personal investment in consumables, extra tools, and safety equipment which HackSpace may not supply. More advice can be given on request.
Getting in touch
If you would like to do some metalwork at the London Hackspace and use our tools, please come down on a Wednesday and introduce yourself! Since it is a small group its worth checking that other MetalBashers will be present by asking on the MetalBashers mailing list before attending.
We also have a MetalBashers mailing-list
We have a range of tools which are available to members, including welding, lathe, forming and cutting tools. Due to the dangerous nature of some of these, tools training or the ability to prove that you already have good experience will be required before you can use the lathe or welding equipment.
Some of the tools such as the grinding wheels and donkey saw can be easily damaged if used incorrectly. Please make sure you are aware of the following before use...
- Donkey Saw - if you leave the vice bar in the wrong position the saw will smack into it causing serious damage
- Grinding wheels - Do not grind aluminum with the grinding wheels. Aluminum is soft enough to easily file...
- Welding - Arc MMA, MIG, TIG - well for welding
- Linisher - For cleaning up edges on steel
- Surface Grinder - for getting a good finish and flat even surface
- Die Filer - good for detailed filing jobs
Other tools include
- Pipe Bending - 1/2" and 3/4" mandrell pipe bender, 12-ton pipe bending press
- Bench drill
- Sheet metal bender for forming boxwork from thin metal sheet.
Joining the group
The next step is to introduce yourself, by checking if other people are attending by posting on the mailing list, and then coming along to the Wednesday evening session.
There is no official membership for the metal bashers..