Good news - we're open for limited services in Wembley. Ujima House is now actively under refurbishment and we'd love your help in making the space the best it can be.
During this interim period donations and continued membership are greatly appreciated while we transition to our new space.
Eating & drinking near Laboratory 24
- City Beverage Company - good Coffees, Beer, Wine (Chase Tea & Coffee Co)
- Longdan Asian Supermarket - 25 Hackney Road. Wide range of Japanese, Vietnamese and Chinese foods, beers, cooking supplies and ready-to-eat snacks including steamed buns.
- Tesco Express on Hackney Road - right out of the gate, right at the end of Cremer Street. Well stocked and well priced, as long as you don't mind buying from The Man.
- Local offie - left out of the gate, left on Kingsland road. For when you urgently need booze or toilet paper.
- Food Hall, Old St - fairly expensive delicatessen, with daily bread, soup and coffee. Fun collection of sweets and condiments, too.
Restaurants & Cafes
- Song Que Cafe (Review) - Vietnamese restaurant (takeaway until 11pm, will take orders over the phone for pickup)
- Troy, the nearest cafe on Kingsland Road, sells excellent hot and cold Italian ciabattas, good breakfasts, great Turkish coffee. They also occasionally try to make you eat potatoes. Here's a copy of their menu.
- Troy-ganic is the new organic shop and cafe right on the corner of Kingsland Road and Cremer St. Jazz downstairs on Fridays.
- Prufrock inside Present, 140 Shoreditch High St - the only place to get a decent coffee. Run by the very lovely Gwilym who has an iPad for calibrating his espresso.
- The nearest kebab shop is your standard local. Some sort of Halal qualification hangs on the wall, you can see lahmacun ready for cooking, and they apparently also do scampi. And falafel.
- Simply The Best Fish Bar, 157 Hackney Road.
- Viet grill - very good - menu
- Red Planet Pizza, 26 Kingsland Road - potato pizza. Need we say more? We have a perpetual two-for-one offer, so don't be afraid to ask.
- Due Sardi, 32 Kingsland Road. Italian Stone baked, online order available, and a lunchtime special menu if you eat in. Check out the 'Patatina' pizza - Tomato, mozzarella and chips. Quite expensive, but a nice break from Red Planet - menu.
- Bombay Munch is an excellent Indian restaurant - order through just-eat.
- Hot Pot - Italian, 56 Hackney Road
- Moretti's - run by Kumar, opposite the space 134 Kingsland Road. The vegetarian breakfast is surprisingly good.
- Lucky Chip - burgers at the Sebright Arms. They will do takeaway, but order a pint because it's not quick.
- Polo bar a 24hour cafe opposite Liverpool street station. A quick bus ride south, or about 20 minutes walk.
- Brick Lane bagel shops. open 24hours. You could grab a Boris bike from outside Hoxton station and be there in 10 minutes.
On Tuesdays we usually make a pizza order from Red Planet
Possible Jones extras order
Votes for what you want
- Proper corn, lightly salted, sweet and salty
- Leighton Brown crisps.