The welding equipment is run and maintained by the Metalbashers.
Given the limited amount of time the Metalbashers can devote to training please do not anticipate that you will get training "on demand".
As a start please review these two videos on basic and advanced MIG..
Please do not base the planning of any project, especially academic projects for examinations, on the anticipation of getting
- Welding Training
- Practice time
- Access to the HackSpace welding equipment at any specific point in time
Given the single welding station and lack of trainers, we have found that best way to get initial training for new welders, or people who are coming back to welding, is to go to the introductory welding sessions run by Adam at Can of Gas, Details here:
At our request Adam will now include an additional module in his introductions which covers setup of a MIG, please make sure that you include this module when you book with him as this will not be covered at HS.
Once you have attended one of the courses we can then spend a little time to get you up and running on the work equipment.
If you feel that you have the relevant experience to start welding @ hackspace without doing the caonofgas course you will be expected to demonstrate that you know about the following without any prompting. Please do not claim that you have experience if you don't know the following as it wastes a lot of time for everybody concerned.
- Identify the correct type of gas used for the welding approach you wish to use and know why that gas should be used.
- Identify which metals are safe to weld and which are hazardous to yourself and others
- Know how you may be electrocuted and how you may electrocute others
- What you need to know about pacemakers
- Fit/Change and remove gas cylinders
- Fit/Change MIG wire and get it through the hose to the torch
- Fit/Change/Clean appropriate sized tips
- Adjust the welding power, wire speed and gas flow to conditions suitable for the metal and thickness of joint you wish to weld
- Use safety equipment and fire extinguishers
- And finally - weld bits of metal together!
The welding space can only accommodate one project at a time and its on a first-come first-served basis. There is only a limited amount of MIG welding gas provided by HS, and no Argon. You will have to provide your own gas if you want to complete any significant projects. This also includes other consumables such as electrodes, welding gloves and other protection.
Black Horse Workshop also offer training.
Further courses can be found here...
The care and training of this equipment is carried out by the metal working group.
Below are people who have had training on the welding equipment.
Trained Welders by Technique (possibly not up to date)
|Sid Charity||No||Yes||No||Ben Vaughan|
|Tom Hodder||No||Yes||No||Russ (mig)|