Good news - we're open for limited services in Wembley. Ujima House is now actively under refurbishment and we'd love your help in making the space the best it can be.
During this interim period donations and continued membership are greatly appreciated while we transition to our new space.
Workshops/Lightning talks on language
This is a series of talks all set to take place from 1930 on Thursday 21st October 2010.
Each topic will be a short talk - 5-15 minutes. A non-exhaustive and non-committal list of topics include:
- spoken but made up languages, as opposed to natural - examples include Esperanto, Klingon and Lojban
- how words related to each other, where they came from, how they evolve
- Speech synthesis and processing
- computer generated speech)
- Language Forensics
- how language is used in law - whether in contracts, or in a courtroom, interpretation of spoken evidence etc
- The international phonetic alphabet
- How can we write the sounds of another language