Difference between revisions of "Cremer st - Infrastructure/Meeting 2011-01-10"

From London Hackspace Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(add note about infrastructure list)
(Minutes: edit for clarity)
Line 34: Line 34:
  
 
== Minutes ==
 
== Minutes ==
Notes from 10th january infrastructure meeting,
+
Notes from 10th January infrastructure meeting, typed in a hurry and mostly paraphrased not peoples' exact words, please correct/extend.  
typed in a hurry and mostly paraphrased not peoples exact words, please correct/extend.
 
yes my spelling is terrible, if you are going to complain run it through a spell checker already.
 
  
 +
=== The mailing list ===
  
0) There is an infrastructure mailing list but people don't use it (probably mainly because
+
There is an infrastructure mailing list but people don't use it (probably mainly because they don't know it exists, because they can't keep up with the main mailing list)
they don't knwo it exists because they can't keep up with the main mailing list)
 
  
Jonty: We need to growl at people who put infrastructure stuff on the main list and  
+
[[User:Jonty|Jonty]]: We need to growl at people who put infrastructure stuff on the main list and forward stuff to the [https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/london-hack-space-infrastructure infrastructure list].
forward stuff to the infrastructure list
 
  
(please add signup link for infrastructre link here)
+
=== Meta-meeting ===
  
 +
[[User:Russ|Russ]]/Jonty: Should we be having this meeting? People who aren't here will want their say, if we post minutes to the mailing list people will reopen issues and we will end up with long threads justifiying everything we have already decided in great detail.
  
1) Russ/Jonty: should we be having this meeting, people who arn't here will want their say, if
+
=== Moving the kitchen ===
we post minutes to the mailing list people will reopen issues and we will end up with long threads
 
justifiying everything we have already descided in great detail.
 
  
 +
Jonty: does anyone object to moving the kitchen to the back of Lab 24?
  
2)Moving the kitchen
+
* Smokers could be asked to smoke outside unit 23, smoke blowing in when people are cooking is less annoying than
Jony: does anyone object to moving the kitchen to the back
+
* Facilities are currently poor for cooking.
of lab24?
+
* Potential to annoy people with smells discourage cooking at the moment
  
smokers could be asked to smoke outside unit 23,
 
smoke blowing in when people are cooking is less annoying than
 
Facuilitys are currently poor for cooking.
 
potential to annoy people with smells discourage cooking at the moment
 
 
Russ wants to preserve the robot murals
 
Russ wants to preserve the robot murals
 +
 
Jonty: current hot water is crap, there is an unused water heater from unit 23?
 
Jonty: current hot water is crap, there is an unused water heater from unit 23?
Wastewater will be a longish run, Russ will do the maths to check it will work, probably
 
  
ok.
+
Wastewater will be a longish run, Russ will do the maths to check it will work, probably ok.
  
Serious kitchen move proposal to be put in mailing list.
+
* Serious kitchen move proposal to be put in mailing list.
Russ to do electrics
+
* Russ to do electrics
Is Adrian ok to do plumbing
+
* Is Adrian ok to do plumbing?
  
Lino or tiles? Tiles better as lino would require leveling the floor.
+
Lino or tiles? Tiles better as lino would require leveling the floor. Can anyone aquire tiles at no cost?
Can anyone aquire tiles at no cost?
 
  
existing cold water pipe can be use, we have a water heater, the waste is the fiddle.
+
Existing cold water pipe can be used, we have a water heater. The waste is the fiddle. Some waste pipes are cast iron. Hob needs 16amp power.
some waste pipes are cast iron
 
hob needs 16amp power
 
  
Subitem, can we get a washing machine? people have to take teatowels home to wash
+
(Subitem, can we get a washing machine? People have to take teatowels home to wash.)
Jasper: Organised teatowel washing system with two colours of towel?
 
Reply: if's it's broken fix it, just wash the teatowels or get on with it.
 
Mark: Can anyone find an old style ceramic sink in a skip?
 
  
Jonty: If anyone comes across an old working washing machine maybe we can grab it.
+
* Jasper: Organised teatowel washing system with two colours of towel?
 +
* Reply: if's it's broken fix it, just wash the teatowels or get on with it.
 +
* Mark: Can anyone find an old style ceramic sink in a skip?
 +
* Jonty: If anyone comes across an old working washing machine maybe we can grab it.
  
 +
=== Desks and work surfaces ===
  
 +
More desks/work surfaces is high priority, what needs doing?
  
3) More desks/work surfaces is high priority, what needs doing?
+
Jonty: We need more desks, this a high priority. We have just got a shitload of desks but they need assembling and putting in sensible places.
  
 +
Purple shirt man may take on assembling some desks/workbenches out of wood.
  
jonty: We need more desks, this a high priority. We have just got a shitload
+
The required work before actually assembing the desks that we have includes:
of desks but they need assembling and putting in sensible places
 
Purple shirt man may take on assembling some desks/workbenches out of wood.
 
  
The required work before actually assembing the desks that we have include;
+
# Getting more bolts
 +
# Getting carpet
 +
# Moving the laser cutter
 +
# Getting more chairs
  
getting more bolts, getting  carpet, moving the laser cutter and getting more chairs
+
Adrian is going to try to look at auctions for chairs.
Adrian is going to try to look at auctions for chairs
 
  
 
Jasper: somewhere we have a thread pitch gague, please tell jasper/the list if you know where
 
Jasper: somewhere we have a thread pitch gague, please tell jasper/the list if you know where
 
it is, it will help fitting new desks
 
it is, it will help fitting new desks
  
someone: what about the details of the layout of the kitchen
+
* Someone: what about the details of the layout of the kitchen
jonty: whoever does the work on the kitchen descides the details
+
* Jonty: whoever does the work on the kitchen descides the details
purple shirt man: beer taps through the wall from the back room into the main area?
+
* Purple shirt man: beer taps through the wall from the back room into the main area?
 +
 
 
Enthusiasm for this idea/having a proper bar.
 
Enthusiasm for this idea/having a proper bar.
  
 +
* Jonty: can someone commit to moving the laser cutter including ducting?
 +
* Some response.
  
Jonty can someone commit to moving the laser cutter including ducting
+
* Jonty: we need bookshelves
Some response.
+
* Russ: bookshelves are easy to make
 
 
existing cold water pipe can be use, we have a water heater, the waste is the fiddle.
 
some waste pipes are cast iron
 
hob needs 16amp power
 
 
 
Is moving the plumbing too hard? Russ thinks it is doable and is researching waste
 
water flow etc
 
  
jonty: we need bookshelves
+
=== General space layout ===
Russ: bookshelves are easy to make
 
  
 
4) general space layout
 
 
Russ: unit23 is better left as open plan as possible
 
Russ: unit23 is better left as open plan as possible
  
4a) storage of bikes
+
==== Storage of bikes ====
 
 
 
 
Jonty: a bike rack inside is not a bad idea but not everyone is convinced.
 
 
 
JOnty&Russ: is the cost of automating the unit23 door worth it for people to get
 
bikes in. Russ thinks the cost is totally not worth it. There could be people
 
doing big stuff in unit 23 so making that the main entry door might be troublesome.
 
 
 
Russ: I think people only want to keep bikes inside because we have space and in
 
a few months we won't have space.
 
  
Purple shirt man: I'v rarely seen more than 4 bikes here.
+
* Jonty: a bike rack inside is not a bad idea but not everyone is convinced.
 +
* Jonty & Russ: is the cost of automating the unit23 door worth it for people to get bikes in. Russ thinks the cost is totally not worth it. There could be people doing big stuff in unit 23 so making that the main entry door might be troublesome.
 +
* Russ: I think people only want to keep bikes inside because we have space and in a few months we won't have space.
 +
* Purple shirt man: I've rarely seen more than 4 bikes here.
 +
* Man at the back: the business center bike shed had been robbed in the past.
 +
* Jasper: if the stuff on the floor of unit 23 gets wet it turns sticky and nasty
 +
* Jonty: other residents on the floor like us, they come round, we probably won't annoy them by keeping bikes outside.
 +
* Russ: We should not use space without good reason, bikes are ok outside.
 +
* Jonty: we could put hooks on the wall outside for bikes.
 +
* Mark: we can fit a lot of bikes along the walls outside
 +
* Jonty: Lets gets some locks and chains, hand out keys when needed, they have to be big chains to work so peoples own bikelocks may not work.
  
Man at the back: the buisness center bike shed had been robbed in the past.
 
Jasper: if the stuff on the floor of unit 23 gets wet it turns sticky and nasty
 
 
Jonty: other residents on the floor like us, they come round, we probably won't
 
annoy them by keeping bikes outside.
 
Russ: We should not use space without good reason, bikes are ok outside.
 
Jonty: we could put hooks on the wall outside for bikes.
 
Mark: we can fit a lot of bikes along the walls outside
 
Jonty: Lets gets some locks and chains, hand out keys when needed, they
 
have to be big chains to work so peoples own bikelocks may not work.
 
 
Moving on, bored of talking about bikes....
 
Moving on, bored of talking about bikes....
  
 
Jasper: we need about 8 meters of chain, high security chain is relatively expensive
 
Jasper: we need about 8 meters of chain, high security chain is relatively expensive
  
4b) moving the laser cutter
+
==== Moving the laser cutter ====
  
 
Lost of past discussion.
 
Lost of past discussion.
Line 160: Line 136:
 
for desperatly needed more work surfaces)
 
for desperatly needed more work surfaces)
  
4c) unit 24 stuff
+
==== Unit 24 stuff ====
 
 
Jonty: We also need to make a project mount, it's a suspended ceiling
 
Russ: Maybe have the current lounge/electronics lab be all desks
 
 
 
4d) doing stuff with the unit 23 toilets
 
 
 
Jonty is not convinced by the idea of having a shower
 
Purple shirt man: a shower may be a good idea as people are doing more work
 
with caustic chemicals.
 
Reasonable number of people think its a good idea
 
 
 
  
Solarnexius: Possiblity of turing a unit 23 toilet into a disabled access toilet
+
* Jonty: We also need to make a project mount, it's a suspended ceiling
Jonty: maybe that could have a shower as well.
+
* Russ: Maybe have the current lounge/electronics lab be all desks
Russ: space planning required to see if thats practical
 
Jonty likes the idea of a darkroom
 
  
Russ: two major things on changing a toilet to a darkroom, we don't want to loose
+
==== Doing stuff with the unit 23 toilets ====
a toilet. Apparantely the best place to put a dark room is where a window is.
 
Also a sink is kinda required.
 
Jonty: maybe the current firdge nook?
 
Russ, maybe unit 23 toilet with big enterance have a shower, maybe a simple darkroom
 
conversion on the other unit 23 toilet.
 
  
Reasonable number of hands in the air for a darkroom.
+
* Jonty is not convinced by the idea of having a shower
Russ: propose bit of permanent bench next to the sink(in unit 23) for biohacking, pcb  
+
* Purple shirt man: a shower may be a good idea as people are doing more work with caustic chemicals.
 +
** Reasonable number of people think its a good idea
 +
* Solarnexius: Possiblity of turing a unit 23 toilet into a disabled access toilet
 +
* Jonty: maybe that could have a shower as well.
 +
* Russ: space planning required to see if thats practical
 +
* Jonty likes the idea of a darkroom
 +
* Russ: two major things on changing a toilet to a darkroom, we don't want to loose a toilet. Apparantely the best place to put a dark room is where a window is. Also a sink is kinda required.
 +
* Jonty: maybe the current firdge nook?
 +
* Russ, maybe unit 23 toilet with big enterance have a shower, maybe a simple darkroom conversion on the other unit 23 toilet.
 +
** Reasonable number of hands in the air for a darkroom.
 +
* Russ: propose bit of permanent bench next to the sink(in unit 23) for biohacking, pcb etching etc
 +
* Jonty: on the grounds of dust of lack of disturbance the current firdge nook might be good for biohacking works/storage.
  
etching etc
+
=== General stuff we need ===
Jonty: on the grounds of dust of lack of disturbance the current firdge nook might be
 
  
good for biohacking works/storage.
+
* Jonty: We need welding screens
 +
* Russ: We could make welding screens but we need to do welding to do that
  
 
5) general stuff we need
 
 
 
Jonty: We need welding screens
 
Russ: we could make welding screens but we need to do welding to do that
 
 
Screens are being researched. there is a pledge drive, due to finances it must be paid before ordering
 
Screens are being researched. there is a pledge drive, due to finances it must be paid before ordering
 
  
 
Jasper: a big projector has been donated buts its only 640x480 ?
 
Jasper: a big projector has been donated buts its only 640x480 ?
  
6)Other
+
=== Other ===
  
Russ won't order parts that people list on the components page unless there is a direct link to  
+
Russ won't order parts that people list on the [[components]] page unless there is a direct link to a supplier of the part
a supplier of the part
 

Revision as of 23:40, 10 January 2011

When: 8pm, 10th January 2011

Agenda

  • meta meeting:
    • scope of the meeting
    • next meeting
  • what areas do we want in the space; rooms suggested so far:
    • quiet
    • games
    • av
    • sound
    • dark
    • kitchen
    • soldering station
    • chill out (R&R not so much quiet)
    • hot tub
    • woodwork
    • metal work
    • reception
    • gallery
    • workshop meeting room
    • where are the areas going to go
    • contents of the areas.
  • Old dirty room refurbishment
  • Laser cutter positioning
  • Bike Storage
  • Kitchen plans
    • Can we get a washing machine?
  • Desks & workbenches

Attendees

Apologies

Minutes

Notes from 10th January infrastructure meeting, typed in a hurry and mostly paraphrased not peoples' exact words, please correct/extend.

The mailing list

There is an infrastructure mailing list but people don't use it (probably mainly because they don't know it exists, because they can't keep up with the main mailing list)

Jonty: We need to growl at people who put infrastructure stuff on the main list and forward stuff to the infrastructure list.

Meta-meeting

Russ/Jonty: Should we be having this meeting? People who aren't here will want their say, if we post minutes to the mailing list people will reopen issues and we will end up with long threads justifiying everything we have already decided in great detail.

Moving the kitchen

Jonty: does anyone object to moving the kitchen to the back of Lab 24?

  • Smokers could be asked to smoke outside unit 23, smoke blowing in when people are cooking is less annoying than
  • Facilities are currently poor for cooking.
  • Potential to annoy people with smells discourage cooking at the moment

Russ wants to preserve the robot murals

Jonty: current hot water is crap, there is an unused water heater from unit 23?

Wastewater will be a longish run, Russ will do the maths to check it will work, probably ok.

  • Serious kitchen move proposal to be put in mailing list.
  • Russ to do electrics
  • Is Adrian ok to do plumbing?

Lino or tiles? Tiles better as lino would require leveling the floor. Can anyone aquire tiles at no cost?

Existing cold water pipe can be used, we have a water heater. The waste is the fiddle. Some waste pipes are cast iron. Hob needs 16amp power.

(Subitem, can we get a washing machine? People have to take teatowels home to wash.)

  • Jasper: Organised teatowel washing system with two colours of towel?
  • Reply: if's it's broken fix it, just wash the teatowels or get on with it.
  • Mark: Can anyone find an old style ceramic sink in a skip?
  • Jonty: If anyone comes across an old working washing machine maybe we can grab it.

Desks and work surfaces

More desks/work surfaces is high priority, what needs doing?

Jonty: We need more desks, this a high priority. We have just got a shitload of desks but they need assembling and putting in sensible places.

Purple shirt man may take on assembling some desks/workbenches out of wood.

The required work before actually assembing the desks that we have includes:

  1. Getting more bolts
  2. Getting carpet
  3. Moving the laser cutter
  4. Getting more chairs

Adrian is going to try to look at auctions for chairs.

Jasper: somewhere we have a thread pitch gague, please tell jasper/the list if you know where it is, it will help fitting new desks

  • Someone: what about the details of the layout of the kitchen
  • Jonty: whoever does the work on the kitchen descides the details
  • Purple shirt man: beer taps through the wall from the back room into the main area?

Enthusiasm for this idea/having a proper bar.

  • Jonty: can someone commit to moving the laser cutter including ducting?
  • Some response.
  • Jonty: we need bookshelves
  • Russ: bookshelves are easy to make

General space layout

Russ: unit23 is better left as open plan as possible

Storage of bikes

  • Jonty: a bike rack inside is not a bad idea but not everyone is convinced.
  • Jonty & Russ: is the cost of automating the unit23 door worth it for people to get bikes in. Russ thinks the cost is totally not worth it. There could be people doing big stuff in unit 23 so making that the main entry door might be troublesome.
  • Russ: I think people only want to keep bikes inside because we have space and in a few months we won't have space.
  • Purple shirt man: I've rarely seen more than 4 bikes here.
  • Man at the back: the business center bike shed had been robbed in the past.
  • Jasper: if the stuff on the floor of unit 23 gets wet it turns sticky and nasty
  • Jonty: other residents on the floor like us, they come round, we probably won't annoy them by keeping bikes outside.
  • Russ: We should not use space without good reason, bikes are ok outside.
  • Jonty: we could put hooks on the wall outside for bikes.
  • Mark: we can fit a lot of bikes along the walls outside
  • Jonty: Lets gets some locks and chains, hand out keys when needed, they have to be big chains to work so peoples own bikelocks may not work.

Moving on, bored of talking about bikes....

Jasper: we need about 8 meters of chain, high security chain is relatively expensive

Moving the laser cutter

Lost of past discussion. Basically it has to go in unit 23, we need some people to get on with it and do it however it needs doing. (see moving laser cutter being a blocking issue for desperatly needed more work surfaces)

Unit 24 stuff

  • Jonty: We also need to make a project mount, it's a suspended ceiling
  • Russ: Maybe have the current lounge/electronics lab be all desks

Doing stuff with the unit 23 toilets

  • Jonty is not convinced by the idea of having a shower
  • Purple shirt man: a shower may be a good idea as people are doing more work with caustic chemicals.
    • Reasonable number of people think its a good idea
  • Solarnexius: Possiblity of turing a unit 23 toilet into a disabled access toilet
  • Jonty: maybe that could have a shower as well.
  • Russ: space planning required to see if thats practical
  • Jonty likes the idea of a darkroom
  • Russ: two major things on changing a toilet to a darkroom, we don't want to loose a toilet. Apparantely the best place to put a dark room is where a window is. Also a sink is kinda required.
  • Jonty: maybe the current firdge nook?
  • Russ, maybe unit 23 toilet with big enterance have a shower, maybe a simple darkroom conversion on the other unit 23 toilet.
    • Reasonable number of hands in the air for a darkroom.
  • Russ: propose bit of permanent bench next to the sink(in unit 23) for biohacking, pcb etching etc
  • Jonty: on the grounds of dust of lack of disturbance the current firdge nook might be good for biohacking works/storage.

General stuff we need

  • Jonty: We need welding screens
  • Russ: We could make welding screens but we need to do welding to do that

Screens are being researched. there is a pledge drive, due to finances it must be paid before ordering

Jasper: a big projector has been donated buts its only 640x480 ?

Other

Russ won't order parts that people list on the components page unless there is a direct link to a supplier of the part