Good news - we're open for limited services in Wembley. Ujima House is now actively under refurbishment and we'd love your help in making the space the best it can be.
During this interim period donations and continued membership are greatly appreciated while we transition to our new space.
|Last updated||2 October 2018 11:39:51|
Lattner is out of service. System is not too obsolete (by 2018 standards) and could be reused but likely scrapping candidate.
Lattner is a general-purpose file server provided to help with general hackspace storage stuff. Note that no warranty is given or implied, but we will try our best to keep it reliably online and usable.
The system was named after the computer scientist Chris Lattner. Lattner is a software developer, best known as the main author of LLVM and related projects, such as the compiler Clang and the programming language Swift.
- 1U Rackmount server with 4 x 1000GB 3.5" SATA drives and one 2.5" 32GB Boot SSD
- Dual Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5345 processors (2.33ghz)
- Debian 8 Operating System with Official ZFS Extensions
- Connected to Equipment/Cisco1 via port 31 & 32 in a 2 port LACP channel bond.
- Runs Samba (workgroup 'LHS') and has 2 shares:
- space, which is read/write to everyone on the local network
- managed which contains useful things that are of interest to hackspace members.
- shares /home over NFS, currently used by lamarr and should be used by Tanenbaum, flowers and sinclair except they are either off or dead. Also used by hamming for doorbot sounds.
Motherboard and Memory
Lattner has 32GB of ECC DRAM and is powered by a SuperMicro X7DBU motherboard. Possible management via IPMI is available via an off-board card that is currently NOT installed.
- 4 1TB drives connected directly to the motherboard SATA ports.
- System is using ZFS in a RAIDZ2 (Double-Parity) RAID providing 1800GiB of usable storage:
pool: chris state: ONLINE scan: none requested config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM chris ONLINE 0 0 0 raidz2-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 ata-Hitachi_HUA721010KLA330_GTA060PBK2ZY1F ONLINE 0 0 0 ata-Hitachi_HUA721010KLA330_GTA060PBKEVKZF ONLINE 0 0 0 ata-Hitachi_HUA721010KLA330_GTA060PBKEWNTF ONLINE 0 0 0 ata-Hitachi_HUA721010KLA330_GTA060PBKEWX4F ONLINE 0 0 0
- zpool was created using device-aware /dev/disk/by-id rather than generic /dev/sda,sdb,sdc,sdd enumeration to help facilitate disk replacements when a drive goes down. And by labeling the outside of the drive-tray with the disk serial number, we can easily reconcile the serial number of a failed/failing drive with one that is in the array.
- Boot drive is simply a single SSD - it shouldn't hold anything precious nor be used as a caching device as there is sufficient system memory and ZFS can likely manage caching automatically.