This page is to capture the progress of forming the London Biohackers GM Safety Committee (GMSC). Forming a GMSC is a requirement of the GMO(CU) regulations specifically to evaluate risk assessments, and more generally to ensure the containment of biological materials, and the safety of workers and the environment.
- The advice from the internet on forming committees is that most committees have between 9 and 12 members. Committees with more than 15 members tend to be unwieldy and difficult to operate. committees with less than 6 people tend to be unrepresentative.
- Traditional committees generally elect a chairperson, a treasurer and a secretary.
Communications and procedures
- I propose that initially, the committee will use a google groups mailing list to discuss relevant issues.
- The secretary of the committee should arrange an AGM on IRC to approve the strategy and review decisions
- committee members can resign from the committee with immediate effect, by emailing the mailing list
- new members can be appointed by majority vote of existing members, chairperson has a casting vote
Members who have expressed an interest
- Tom Hodder (tolland)
- Samantha Thompson
- Ilya Levantis
- Tommaso Vannocci
External members who have expressed an interest
- Brian Degger
- Darren Nesbeth