You could just buy crisps but these are more fun and more of a fire hazard.
- a deep metal pot
- Probe thermometer, the kind you can leave in and monitor the temperature
- Frying strainer thing for scooping out things from super-hot oil
- Fine wire mesh rack
- Paper kitchen towel
- Rapeseed oil
- Vegetable peeler
- Flavour Powders
- Clean your vegetables and peel if necessary
- Use your vegetable peeler to make very thin strips of vegetable. You can further cut these into smaller crisps
- Pour 1 inch/2.5cm of oil into the pot
- Heat oil on medium heat to 180C
- Carefully drop in one small handful of vegetable peelings
- Watch as the oil will plummet to about 155C
- Keep watching the vegetables to see if they go brown
- Take them out either when the oil is back up to about 180C or when they look a little brown, whatever comes first.
- Drain on the wire mesh then transfer to crumpled up kitchen towel to sop up excess oil
- Sprinkle with flavour powders and serve
Generally whatever the flavour powder is will be the "top note" flavour, followed by the crisp flavour.
- Nutella and Beetroot
- Butter and Parsnip