447 Hackney Road
This page is out of date - it refers to our old space which is no longer accessible for hacking. We're playing with newer stuff at Ujima House now.
Home of London Hackspace, leased from 15th March 2013 to 15 March 2018 having initially moved into on 13th of April 2013. At more than 6500 sq ft (600 m2) over two floors, it was nearly triple the size of our previous space, and also included a large dedicated yard with loading bay.
The space was a work in progress, and improvements never ceased. lots to do was a list of improvements we had planned during our time on Hackney Road.
447 Hackney Road
Lat: 51.532141 Long: -0.060806
If no public events are running, the shutter on Hackney Road may be closed. In this case, access is through our rear gate on Emma Street. For more information on getting to the space, see Getting There
When to Visit
If you haven't visited London Hackspace before, you should drop by on one of our Tuesday open evenings to get a tour around the space. The front door will be open then, and we'll give you a tour and let you know how to join as a member.
If you can't make Tuesday
There are usually people in the space during the daytime (afternoon/evening is better). You are quite likely to get in, but you can't rely on it. If the shutter is down at the front, try the back gate. If you didn't manage to get a tour, pop onto the List to arrange a day when you can be shown the ropes. Drop-in access outside of the regular Tuesday visitor time is not guaranteed.
The London Hackspace is located on Hackney Road which is known to have a very high bike theft rate. If you are planning to bring a bike it is recommended you lock it in the yard, for which we can provide access. We have a dedicated bike parking area with metal hoops, so you'll probably find it easier to leave it there too.
Cable locks - even thick ones - are an invitation to bike thieves. It's safer to use a D-lock or separate lock and chain.
Please remember that the London Hackspace is a public environment, especially on Open Evenings, and you should exercise common sense in looking after and securing your valuables.
The rear door (and the inner front door, when it's open) are locked using Doorbot. Members can open the door using a registered Oyster or other RFID card.
- There is a cash machine directly across the road by the Tesco.
- Broadway Market and London Fields (for good food) are a 5-minute walk away
- There is a cash and carry around the corner on Cambridge Heath Road
- There are many nice Pubs close by:
- Sebright Arms - now back with Lucky Chip food offerings.
- Redchurch Brewery - new brewery built in a refurbished railway arch close to LHS.
- The Marksman
- The Dove
- The Hare
- Billy's Cafe - Fry-up Cafe serving breakfasts and lunches - Members recommend ordering extra bacon instead of inferior sausages or going completely off-menu such as a bacon roll with fried onions and cheese served with well-done chips. (Also - closest cafe accessible via back gate)
- Ombra Venetian Restaurant/Bar
- The Canteen Cafe, can deliver to the space. We have a menu. tgreer approves of the breakfasts. Note that they are sometimes slow to serve/cook.
- Kebab Time on Mare Street (fairly decent cheap chips)
- Al-Amin Indian Restaurant on Cambridge Heath - Good reviews all around
- Broadway Fish Bar, nearest end of Broadway Market. Expensive, but decent (and has curry sauce!)
- Cafe Tres on Cambridge Heath Road (turning left at the end of Hackney Road) does good breakfasts.
- E.Pellicci Italian Cafe at 332 Bethnal Green Road (nr. corner of Pollard Row) Great pasta, fantastic atmosphere and amazing early 20C marquetry for all you timber-ticklers!
- The Decorators Art And Architecture Collective - A group of artists-for-hire focusing on architecture, psychology, landscape, interior and graphic design (Occupying the third floor of our building)
- Designed in Hackney We are technically in Tower Hamlets and not Hackney, but still interesting local design concepts.
- Vyner Street First Thursday Open studios every month in Vyner St for an arty farty party
- Apiary Studios Sound Studio and Event Venue
- Last Tuesday Society Lots of two headed dead things in glass boxes
- OFFLINE HACKING : London Hackspace 360/3D walkthrough capturing the essence of 447 Hackney Road before it was decommissioned (published in early 2018)
- Do Not Hack Mini-Documentary 2014/2015 Mini-documentary on Hackerspaces featuring lots of interior shots of 447 Hackney Road.
- Pics from Russ/Jonty's first visit
- second visit
- Second visit - Sully's pictures (Mostly infrastructure related)
- Video - 16/01/2013
- 360° panoramas: