How to Join London Hackspace
Revision as of 20:51, 12 October 2019 by Simon Hewison (You can set up an RFID card on your account before payment clears)
There are a few things that you need to do in order to join London Hackspace
GET INTO THE MEMBERSHIP SYSTEM
- Sign up on the main website
- This will give you your membership number. You will receive an email with payment instructions.
- Set up your payments
- You can do this via standing order or by taking cash into the bank every month. Either way, your membership number must be the payment reference. The minimum donation is £5 per month and the recommended donation is £15 or over. Basically, whatever you can afford or feel the space is worth.
- Await confirmation
- Approximately 24 hours after your first payment clears, you will receive your welcome email. Congratulations, you are officially an LHS member!
- Set up your access card
- This can be pretty much anything that contains an RFID chip, such as an oyster card or credit card. You can also get RFID labels and stick them to something. Swipe it on the membership kiosk, by the library, and follow the on-screen instructions. Once completed, you will be able to come into London Hackspace any time you like - even 3am on Christmas day. If you really want to. Adding your card can be done before your first payment clears - very useful if you're already at the Hackspace on a public open day. More details on adding cards and compatible RFID cards can be found here.
GET INTO THE HACKSPACE COMMUNITY
- Join the mailing list
- The mailing list is where pretty much all discussions happen. If you need help, want to store something or find something is broken, post it here. Keep an eye on it and you will quickly become part of the community - you might not want every email to go to your inbox though, as there are sometimes 100+ emails a day. It's hosted on Google Groups
- Join the Wiki
- Read about the Equipment you want to use, and familiarise yourself with any instructions or training you may need.
- Join the IRC
- Jump in!
- London Hackspace is a community driven organisation, so the more you put in, the more you'll get out!