The naming scheme of systems in the hackspace (hostname) is "people involved in computing"  . This includes pioneers in similar relevant fields. Please note that pronunciation and spelling difficulties may rule out names like Dijkstra, Kay and Hoare.
Names used on systems no longer in use.
machines should be available as hostname.lan.hackspace.org.uk from inside the space (just hostname should work). some machines are available from the outside as hostname.hack.rs
- Turing (Bitfolk VM)
- Babbage (Server in the space)
- Lovelace (Workstation for Makerbot)
- Tesla Replacement for Lovelace
- Lorentz Dell Laptop
- Flowers (Media PC)
- Postel (The SGI O2)
- Bell (Door entry/building management)
- Marconi (Spare laptop 1, needs wireless drivers installing) - source
- Hopper (Vending machine)
- Shannon (IRC Terminal)
- Layzor -- (Patel was formerly the PC for laser cutter)
- Church (Router)
- Difference - Public Terminal
Dennis - Random spare goodish pc.gone.
- Capek Lobby display
- Caxton HP Laserjet 2200D Printer
- Boole (Boole) - ldap/spacenet, dhcp, dns, netboot, ntp, syslog etc.
- Wilson (Door Entry for 447 Hackney Road) Wilson
- Torvalds New 3D Printing Machine
- Hamming new doorbot machine Richard Hamming
- Booch emoncms power monitoring raspberry pi thing Grady Booch
- Perlman new rpi, maybe backdoorbot or enrolement box Perlman
- Asimov small pc used for talking to robots Asimov.
- Denning network services machine (was boole) Denning.
- Equipment/Colin sort of fileserver, was netbootyboxxy Colin.
- Equipment/Turk Guest Laptop.
See Laboratory 24/Network for details on these machines.
Potential new machines currently under discussion
- Borg (Anita Borg) - replacement for babbage and vm server
- Zeus (Konrad Zuse) - 64 core, 512Gb RAM compute server.
- Lamarr or Hedy (sp?)
- Nozick (sp?)
Potential names on the edge of the scheme
- Adams - UUNET
- Armstrong - FM
- Backus - Naur Form
- Beer - Regulatory systems
- Black - Feedback amp
- Brown - Servomechanics
- Dirac - Quantum mechanics
- Edison - Electrical engineering
- Erwin - Userfriendly character
- Flood - Prisoner's dilemma, travelling salesman problem
- Gray - Music synth
- Heron - Automata
- Hollerith - Automated punch card systems, his company eventually became IBM
- Korolyov - Rocket science
- Maxwell - Electromagnetic theory
- Norton - Circuit analysis
- Pitts - Neural Networks
- Reeves - PCM
- Simon - AI
- Smith - RF analysis
- Stob - Satirist
- Watt - Steam Engine Bad-Ass
Potential names not from the scheme
- Bubbles, Buttercup & Blossom
- heck-a-tombical plus minus
- NPR (No Prescription Required)
- Cabbage - an alternative / backup / failover for Babbage?