Good news - we're open for limited services in Wembley. Ujima House is now actively under refurbishment and we'd love your help in making the space the best it can be.
During this interim period donations and continued membership are greatly appreciated while we transition to our new space.
Name: Aaron Sokoloski
Bio: I'm a member of the hackspace because I enjoy using my hands to fix and create things, which I don't get an opportunity to do at my desk job.
I'm pretty good at software and ok at mechanical stuff, but don't know very much about EE.
Ideas for cleanup/workshop advice sign copy:
- "Don't be the one jerk who left a mess! What would your old mum think?"
- "Remember to stop 10 minutes early and tidy."
- "Working slow is faster in the long run."
- "Henry the hoover is hungry. Please feed him. And help him if he needs to poo."
- "Clean up like you have a date coming over!"
- "Taking good care of tools is like giving extra money to the hackspace."
- "Hacking is about creativity, not sloppy work."
Ideas for 447 fundraising email:
- Emphasise what good value the hackspace is. How much you can learn. How much money you can save by fixing your things at the hackspace instead of having to replace them.
- Ask to consider a good friend at the hackspace, and do it for them.
- If you can't do any more, even 2 quid more per month would help. It's less than the cost of one pint of guinness per month, but multiplied by 600+ members, is very substantial. If you can contribute 20 quid per month, that's great.
- If you can convince a friend to become a member, that's great too.
- Whatever you need to do, find your own reason to contribute a bit more to the hackspace, because it's a good thing and we want it to continue.
Things I have done at the hackspace:
- Made a new guard for the bench grinder.
- Re-wired the plug for the dust fan/pump used for the scroll saw.
- Helped Mentar troubleshoot the robotic arm. Most credit due to him :)
- Used the laser cutter to produce a board and pieces for Game of the Amazons
- Sorted miscellaneous screws, nuts, and bolts.
- Took apart, cleaned & re-oiled, and put back together the Mini Lathe.
- Worked on fixing the Mini Lathe motor. Almost there, I think!
- Helped to restore Cremer Street to get the deposit back.
- Built some shelves in the workshop.